Chicken Parmesan Burgers
A restaurant-quality burger that's topped with marinara and loaded with cheese, what's not to love? Sprinkle with fresh basil for even more flavor. —Brooke Petras, Alpine, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped or shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil leaves, optional
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup marinara sauce, chopped mozzarella cheese, bread crumbs, seasonings and onion mixture. Add chicken; mix lightly but thoroughly. With wet hands, shape into four 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Cook burgers until a thermometer reads 165°, 4-5 minutes on each side. Top with sliced mozzarella cheese; cook, covered, until cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes.
- Serve in buns; top with remaining 1/2 cup marinara sauce, Parmesan cheese and, if desired, basil leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 603 calories, 33g fat (10g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 1275mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 38g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Parmesan Burgers in Taste of Home August/September 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.