Chicken and Falafel Waffles
These gluten-free waffles made from chickpeas lend perfectly to a Moroccan-spiced chicken with cucumber relish. They're a savory, low-carb spin on a classic comfort dish. —Arlene Erlbach, Morton Grove, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 1 cup chopped green onions, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint plus additional for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 4-1/2 teaspoons gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 2 tablespoons Moroccan seasoning (ras el hanout), divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sugar apricot preserves
- 3/4 cup chili sauce
- Preheat waffle maker. In a small bowl, combine yogurt, cucumber, 1/2 cup green onions, 2 tablespoons mint, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Place the garbanzo beans, egg, parsley, gluten-free flour, 1 tablespoon Moroccan seasoning and remaining green onions in a blender. Cover and pulse until blended (batter with be thick). Bake waffles according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, mix chicken, preserves, chili sauce and remaining Moroccan seasoning; heat through. Serve with waffles. Top with yogurt mixture and additional mint.
Nutrition Facts1 waffle with 2/3 cup chicken mixture and 1/3 cup sauce: 491 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 959mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 5g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Guilt Free Chicken and Falafel Waffles in Taste of Home February/March 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.