Chicken and Falafel Waffles
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 1 cup chopped green onions, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint plus additional for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt-added garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 4-1/2 teaspoons gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- 2 tablespoons Moroccan seasoning (ras el hanout), divided
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sugar apricot preserves
- 3/4 cup chili sauce
- Preheat waffle iron. In a small bowl, combine yogurt, cucumber, 1/2 cup green onions, 2 tablespoons mint, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Place the garbanzo beans, egg, parsley, gluten-free flour, 1 tablespoon Moroccan seasoning and remaining green onions in a blender. Cover and pulse until blended (batter with be thick). Bake waffles according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, mix chicken, preserves, chili sauce and remaining Moroccan seasoning; heat through. Serve with waffles. Top with yogurt mixture and additional mint.
Nutrition Facts1 waffle with 2/3 cup chicken mixture and 1/3 cup sauce: 491 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 104mg cholesterol, 959mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 5g fiber), 25g protein.
Apr 15, 2019
The flavoring on the chicken is particularly delicious, and it makes a good complete dish with all of the sauce and toppings. We really liked the chickpea waffles! They are a little dry but I didn't have any problems with it coming together or sticking to the waffle maker.
Jan 23, 2019
The waffle batter would not process so added some water to it. The first waffle pulled apart, didn't stick but crumbled. Ended up adding an extra egg and the rest cooked up well. Only made 8 small (not full size) waffles. Tasty recipe but the waffles are dry in texture.
Dec 15, 2018
I love the idea of making a waffle with anything savory! This recipe did not disappoint. Very unique take on a waffle, I only added more spices to add to the taste. It is a little dry but if you add a healthy portion of the cucumber Greek yogurt you're in for a treat!