Savory Mustard Chicken and Stuffing Waffles
Adding mustard to the chicken coating adds a tang that's amazing with the savory waffles and sweet maple syrup. —John Ginn, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 package (6 ounces) stuffing mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- Oil for frying
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-3/4 cups 2% milk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Maple syrup
- Prepare stuffing mix according to package directions; cool.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, mix eggs and mustard. Place flour, salt and pepper in another shallow bowls. Dip chicken thighs in flour mixture to coat both sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then again in flour mixture, patting to help coating adhere.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/2 in. oil to 375°. Fry chicken thighs, a few at a time, until golden brown and a thermometer reads at least 170°, 2-3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels and keep warm.
- Preheat waffle iron. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar and baking powder. In another bowl, whisk milk, eggs, butter and vanilla until blended. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened. Stir in prepared stuffing.
- Bake waffles according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown. Serve with chicken and syrup.
Test Kitchen tip