Savory Mustard Chicken and Stuffing Waffles
Adding mustard to the chicken coating adds a tang that's amazing with the savory waffles and sweet maple syrup. —John Ginn, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 package (6 ounces) stuffing mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- Oil for frying
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-3/4 cups 2% milk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Maple syrup
- Prepare stuffing mix according to package directions; cool.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, mix eggs and mustard. Place flour, salt and pepper in another shallow bowls. Dip chicken thighs in flour mixture to coat both sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then again in flour mixture, patting to help coating adhere.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/2 in. of oil to 375°. Fry chicken thighs, a few at a time, until golden brown and a thermometer reads at least 170°, 2-3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels and keep warm.
- Preheat waffle maker. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar and baking powder. In another bowl, whisk milk, eggs, butter and vanilla until blended. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened. Stir in prepared stuffing.
- Bake waffles according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown. Serve with chicken and syrup.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1 piece of chicken with 2 waffles: 691 calories, 43g fat (16g saturated fat), 219mg cholesterol, 1074mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 32g protein.
Originally published as Mustard Chicken and Stuffing Filled Waffles in Taste of Home August/September 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.