- 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti, broken
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken and mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute the onions and green and red peppers in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the chicken, soups, sour cream, celery salt and pepper.
- Drain spaghetti; add to sauce mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to two greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dishes. Sprinkle with cheeses. Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the remaining casserole at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Reviews forChicken & Cheese Noodle Bake
"Wonderful recipe! so good! you can adjust it to your likes! I used green onions and canned chicken . Everyone loved it!"
"This an easy recipe to adjust to your own taste. I used whole wheat rigatoni in place of the spaghetti. The cream soups can be of your choice and so can the types of vegetables and cheeses. I swapped out the 2% milk for half and half, added 2 pressed cloves of garlic and 1/4 cup of white wine. Instead of 2 7x11 baking dishes I made it in 1 deep dish 9x13. Also the portion size must have been off in the recipe because we both ate it 3 nights in a row, and it made 6 not 12 portions."
"superbadmom, do you have a recipe for homemade noodles that you could send to toh?? would love to see a recipe there. :)"
"I made this for a co-worker whose wife just had a baby and it's delicious. Would make this for my family."
"I use two cans of cream of chicken with herbs, chopped up a stalk of celery and added a can of Rotel tomatoes for the kick and color. Didn't add flour, butter and only one onion, sauted the vegetables in a small amount of olive oil. Very good."
"This is much better using homemade noodles instead of spaghetti. I dissolve a chicken bulion cube in about tabs. of hot water and add to cream soups. I chop up some celery instead of peppers. No need for butter and flour! Instead of the cream of mushroom; use all cream of chicken soup OR cream of celery (really good!). Way too much onion! I mix some of the cheese right into the casserole and then top it with the rest mixed with bread crumbs or crunched up potato chips. Should cook 30 minutes."
"This is soooo good! My hubby liked it but thought it was too bland (but he puts Tabasco on almost everything) and I liked it except for the peppers. I will make this again and leave out the peppers and he can just put on Tabasco and we will both be happy :)"
"freezes well, my family loved it"
"Will make again...next time I might even add some extra veggies to the mix like some chopped broccoli or cauliflour. I also used bow tie pasta instead which turned out fine. I would also make 4 pans since half the pan was just enough to feed the 5 of us."