My grilled cheese sandwich combines chicken with sweet caramelized onions, red peppers, Swiss cheese and sourdough bread. It’s oh-my goodness. —Kadija Bridgewater, Boca Raton, Florida
Featured In: Our Most Gooey Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Ever
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup finely chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 12 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 30-40 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in rosemary.
- Meanwhile, pound chicken with a meat mallet to 1/2-in. thickness. Drizzle with lemon juice; sprinkle with pepper and remaining salt. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 5-7 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Cut into strips.
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and red peppers. Spread half of the mayonnaise mixture over four slices of bread. Layer each with one slice cheese, chicken, onions and two slices of cheese. Spread remaining mayonnaise mixture over remaining bread; place over top. Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter.
- Grill sandwiches, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken & Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese in Simple & Delicious April/May 2015
Reviews forChicken & Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review