- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 large sweet white onions, sliced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- Pepper to taste
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 8 slices French bread, buttered on both sides
- In a skillet, melt butter. Saute onions until clear and slightly brown. Layer onions, two-thirds of the cheese and the pepper in a 2-qt. casserole.
- In a saucepan, heat soup, milk and soy sauce; stir to blend. Pour soup mixture into casserole and stir gently. Top with bread slices. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Push bread slices down under sauce; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes more. This is good served as a side dish with beef or pork roast. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forCheesy Onion Casserole
"These are awesome."
"Very good, however I used mozzarella in place of swiss."
"This is really cheesy and filling. We ate all the bread off it the night I served it. I topped baked potatoes with the leftovers. Excellent!"