- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cups chopped fully cooked ham
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a large bowl, combine the hot roll mix and contents of yeast packet. Stir in the warm water, egg and 1 tablespoon butter. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead for 5 minutes. In a skillet, saute onion and green pepper in remaining butter until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in ham, cheeses and parsley.
- On a greased baking sheet, roll dough into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spoon ham mixture lengthwise down the center of dough. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips about 2 in into the center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes or until almost doubled.
- In a small bowl, beat egg white and cold water; brush over dough. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forCheesy Ham Braid
"I make this regularly. Most of the time I use my own homemade pizza dough instead of the hot roll mix."
"This recipe is great as written, but it can also be easily adjusted to fit your own tastes. I prefer to substitute my own hot roll recipe in place of the boxed variety, and that works just fine. This also works great with reduced fat ingredients as well."
"Could this be made a day in advance, refrigerated, then taken out and let it rise prior to baking? I would like to use this for an upcoming party, but I need to do a lot of pre-party cooking. This recipe would be ideal for the party."