- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (about 8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- In a 4-quart saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat; add potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan; add flour and mix well. Gradually stir in milk; cook over low heat until slightly thickened. Stir in cheese and cook until melted; add to broth along with chicken. Cook and stir over low heat until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forCheesy Chicken Chowder
"I love recipes where I don't have to put any ingredients on my shopping list; they become "go to" recipes when you need to put together a quick, hearty meal. This soup is such a nice change from chicken noodle or chicken rice soup. I did add one more cup of broth than the recipe called for; I used canned broth and would have had about 1 cup left over from the 2 cans I opened so I just added the extra and it tasted great. Very flavorful and definitely fits my guidelines for comfort food. I am so glad there were leftovers for tomorrow night! salad, French bread or hearty sandwich and soup: perfect!"
"I have been making this recipe for years, my whole family loves it, now my daughters make it for their families. It is easy and delicious! Definitely a keeper!"
"We always double this recipe because it is plain old-fashioned goodness. One recipe is not enough!"
"This lacks a little bit in flavor, so I made sure to season my chicken with garlic, onion, salt and pepper before adding it to the chowder. Everyone loved this so I will be making it again."
"this recipe is great, registered as a member of this site just so i could say that i also occasionally use steak chunks instead and it's amazing. i just brown the steak chunks a bit before adding to the stew and use beef broth instead of chicken broth! it's a cold night favorite and tastes great in a bread bowl :)"
"The whole family loved it!!"
"I think garlic would be a nice addition to the chowder."