Cheese-Filled Lemon Coffee Cake
Lemon lovers will find this rich, glazed coffee cake absolutely scrumptious. The cream cheese in the middle is a wonderful surprise and nicely complements the tart citrus flavor.—Tessa Mabe, Toledo, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 5 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350°. Ib a large bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg; mix well. Stir in lemon juice and lemon zest. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased and floured 8-in. fluted tube pan. In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and remaining sugar; spoon over batter. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients. Drizzle over cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
Apr 3, 2012
This was very good! Baked the night before. Recipe said to refrigerate leftovers, so I did put it in the fridge overnight. I used 4 small lemons to get the required amount of zest & juice. Great flavor :)