Cheese-Filled Lemon Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 5 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large bowl, beat butter and 1 cup sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg; mix well. Stir in lemon juice and lemon peel. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased and floured 8-in. fluted tube pan. In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and remaining sugar; spoon over batter. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients. Drizzle over cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 612 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 513mg sodium, 96g carbohydrate (62g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Apr 3, 2012
This was very good! Baked the night before. Recipe said to refrigerate leftovers, so I did put it in the fridge overnight. I used 4 small lemons to get the required amount of zest & juice. Great flavor :)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.