Cheddar-Butternut Squash Clafoutis
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 50 min. + standing
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan and Romano cheese blend
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place butternut squash in a 12-in. cast-iron skillet. Drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Roast until just tender, 15-20 minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, flour and cayenne; stir in cheeses. Place butter in same skillet; place skillet in oven until butter is melted, 1-2 minutes. Carefully tilt pan to coat bottom and sides with butter. Pour egg mixture into skillet; top with roasted squash.
- Bake until puffed and edges are browned, 30-35 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with chives and additional Parmesan and Romano cheese blend.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 357 calories, 22g fat (11g saturated fat), 176mg cholesterol, 586mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Mar 23, 2020
Restaurant quality, serve to guests!!!!
Mar 1, 2020
I've made this a dozen times since Thanksgiving. The result is always delicious. I now keep a block of cheddar just to be able to make this. I've used broccoli in addition to the squash. The recipe works well with substitutions of different flours, vegetables, spices, or milks. In a convection oven at 400F it's complete in 22-27 minutes.
Dec 29, 2019
Nice combination. I can’t wait to try it. I am thinking I would cube the squash small- at 1/2 inch or smaller! Too bad the faux critic below gave you 1 star because they forgot to read the first line of step 3! I suppose it might help to make the butter/skillet step a separate step to make negative and ineffective speed readers able to parse the difference between a bowl and a skillet! Lovely idea for brunch—thank you!
Dec 13, 2019
Where's the Cheddar? Step 4 says "add additional Parmesan and Romano, where was that in the recipe??
Aug 26, 2019