Cheddar-Butternut Squash Clafoutis
I came up with this savory version of the classic French dessert, clafoutis, and shared it for dinner with a salad. My friends loved it, but in the end I could have eaten the whole pan myself while dreaming of being in Paris with every scrumptious bite. —Joseph A. Sciascia, San Mateo, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 50 min. + standing
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp white Kerrygold cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan and Romano cheese blend
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place butternut squash in a 12-in. cast-iron skillet. Drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Roast until just tender, 15-20 minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, flour and cayenne; stir in cheeses. Place butter in same skillet; place skillet in oven until butter is melted, 1-2 minutes. Carefully tilt pan to coat bottom and sides with butter. Pour egg mixture into skillet; top with roasted squash.
- Bake until puffed and edges are browned, 30-35 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with chives and additional Parmesan and Romano cheese blend.