Celebration Cheese Balls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
Makes3 cheese balls (1 cup each)
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- PINE NUT-PESTO CHEESE BALL:
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 10 tablespoons toasted pine nuts, divided
- HORSERADISH-BACON CHEESE BALL:
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- SALSA CHEESE BALL:
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced seeded jalapeno pepper
- Assorted crackers
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, Parmesan cheese and garlic until blended. Divide into three portions.
- For Pine Nut-Pesto Cheese Ball: Beat one portion of cream cheese mixture and pesto until blended. Stir in basil. Chop 2 tablespoons pine nuts; stir into cheese mixture. Shape into a ball; roll in remaining pine nuts. Wrap in plastic; chill until firm.
- For Horseradish-Bacon Cheese Ball: Beat one portion of cream cheese mixture and horseradish until blended. Stir in bacon and onion. Shape into a ball. Wrap in plastic; chill until firm.
- For Salsa Cheese Ball: Beat one portion of cream cheese mixture, tomato paste and salt until blended. Stir in cilantro, onion and jalapeno. Shape into a ball. Wrap in plastic; chill until firm.
- Can refrigerate up to two weeks. Serve with crackers.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 57 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Nov 26, 2017
I used to be in charge of making the cheese balls every year for the combo openhouse/Christmas party at a place I used to work. One year I made individual truffle sized cheese balls that went over quite well. But I bought several different types of cheese and each cheese ball was a different flavor cheese mixed with the cream cheese, and were then rolled in different things like herbs, nuts and spices.
Dec 15, 2014
I've made these several times and they are always a hit. I frequently get asked for the recipe. Delicious, festive and very easy to make!
Jun 20, 2009
EVER since I first made this, I have gotten a request (actually, a DEMAND) to bring these to that holiday event ever since. I have not found a single person who has not enjoyed these. :)In fact, I'm kinda getting tired of making them! :) But the end product always makes me grateful that I did. SO yummy!
Jan 18, 2009
I only made the Pine Nut-Pesto ball and it was wonderful.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.