Caramel Apple Trifle
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 5 medium)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) caramel ice cream topping, divided
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 2 loaves (10-3/4 ounces each) frozen pound cake, thawed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Additional apple pie spice, optional
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the apples, walnuts, brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice. Cook and stir for 8-10 minutes or until apples are tender.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Beat in 1/2 cup caramel topping and remaining apple pie spice. Fold in 2 cups whipped topping.
- In a 3-1/2-qt. trifle bowl or glass serving bowl, layer a third of the cake cubes, cream cheese mixture and apple mixture. Repeat layers twice. Garnish with remaining whipped topping and drizzle with remaining caramel topping. Sprinkle with additional apple pie spice if desired. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 472 calories, 25g fat (14g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 313mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Jul 25, 2016
This was really yummy. I'm about to make it for the 2nd time...substituting spice cake for the pound cake this time...just to see if I like the spice cake any better. I plan on making my own caramel sauce (because I can).
Oct 25, 2015
I followed the recipe but made my own apple pie spice and diced the apple instead of sliced as in the photo. It was wonderful! All the ladies at the meeting loved it, took leftovers to their husbands, and they loved it, too. Great recipe!
Nov 28, 2014
The flavor of this recipe is so good! I've made it twice and had great reviews both times. A good way to save $$ is to make up your own apple pie spice, there are plenty of recipes online. This is really easy to make also and I love a dessert you can make up ahead of time. The only thing I changed is that I make one and a half times the filling because it seems just a bit too little.
Oct 5, 2014
Very good and easy to make.
Dec 3, 2013
The recipe was delicious, everyone LOVED IT!! However, I had to double everything to fill my trifle bowl. I would make again for Thanksgiving!!!
Nov 30, 2013
Do the apples turn brown
Oct 17, 2013
Frist time I made this, It was okay. The second time I made it I doubled up on the apples, caramel. I actually used smuckers caramel topping for ice cream. I also used two cream cheeses and switched the walnuts for pecans. I like real whipped cream so I whipped up my own and decorated it like the picture using a pastry bag. I added more pecans and drizzled the caramel over it. It was delish! It went so fast. The first time I made it , althrough I thought it was good, Their didn't seem to be enough mixture to layer with. So try this recipe but double it up. I'm sure your family will love it. .
Sep 23, 2013
Wow, this recipe is fantastic! Made it for my family and not only is it elegant looking but it tastes spectacular! I followed one recommendation to lightly pour some of the caramel topping between each layer, but not too much. I used a pastry bag and decorative tip to swirl the whipped cream on top like the picture and it turned out beautiful! Everyone loved this....there was none left. If I make it again, I would do more of the apple mixture. Since I didn't have a trifle bowl, the large glass bowl I did have, is wider than a trifle so the apple mixture didn't go as far as I would have liked. So keep in mind if you don't have a trifle bowl.
Jun 7, 2013
I made this recipe for a family reunion and teacher conference. Everyone has LOVED the recipe! My suggestion is to use a variety of apple from Fugi, Gala, and Macintosh. This provides a good mix of sweet and tart! Plus be sure to let it set for at least 4 hours! YUMM
Jan 11, 2012
I hate to say it, but I really didn't like this recipe! I was so disappointed because of the good reviews and the time and money spent. I made it for a Christmas dinner and no one else really liked it either...sorry!