- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium head cabbage (2 pounds), shredded
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in one can of tomato sauce and next six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in rice and bacon; remove from heat.
- Layer a third of the cabbage in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with half of the meat mixture. Repeat layers; top with remaining cabbage. Pour remaining tomato sauce over top.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with coarsely ground pepper. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forCabbage Roll Casserole
"Is there a way to print a recipe from watching a video of how to make it. As it doesn't tell the amount of each ingredient?"
"I’ve never tried a Taste of Home recipe that my family didn’t like until now. I was very disappointed that this dish wasn’t very good. I had to purchase a couple of spices that weren’t cheap, in order to make the casserole, and now I have spices that most likely I will never use again, plus the expense of throwing 99% of it away."
"i thought it tasted good, husband, who is one who could taste a quarter teaspoon of wine in eight gallons of soup, thought it was so so. I used packaged shredded cabbage and he felt it was too finely shredded and got lost in the casserole. Will try buying whole head next time and coarsely chopping. Will also leave off the cheese."
"This is delicious. I didn’t have tomato sauce so I used a jar of spaghetti sauce and added additional dill. Used cheddar cheese and a little Parmesan because that’s what I had on hand. Excellent dish."
"What a hit!!! Everyone LOVED it and so easy. One friend said-"this could be done instead of noodles and no one would care"- it's that good!!!"
"Could this be make with spaghetti sauce and cut out all the extra spices? I once saw a recipes using spaghetti sauce for Cabbage roll casserole but cannot find it now. Thought this would work. Cut out a lot of work."
"I'm trying to give this 5 stars but it won't take. Like some of the other viewers, maybe the browser doesn't like cabbage. I fixed this exactly as presented and served it with sour cream and with a choice of fried apples or applesauce as a side dish. I did shred the cabbage in the food processor. The sour cream seems to give it a bit of an umami kick. My family loved this recipe. Will be adding it to our regular meal rotation."
"It is okay but my mom always made cabbage rolls in a brown gravy. I still make it that way today. I have never heard of it with tomato sauce."
"The kids and I are rating this dish as we eat it. We've settled on a two star rating and feel generous granting that. I made no alterations to the recipe, and have no desire to try it again in order to attempt any improvement. We will save our cabbage for better things."