- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium head cabbage (2 pounds), shredded
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat, crumbling beef, until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in one can of tomato sauce and next six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in rice and bacon; remove from heat.
- Layer a third of the cabbage in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with half of the meat mixture. Repeat layers; top with remaining cabbage. Pour remaining tomato sauce over top.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with coarsely ground pepper. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forCabbage Roll Casserole
"It is okay but my mom always made cabbage rolls in a brown gravy. I still make it that way today. I have never heard of it with tomato sauce."
"The kids and I are rating this dish as we eat it. We've settled on a two star rating and feel generous granting that. I made no alterations to the recipe, and have no desire to try it again in order to attempt any improvement. We will save our cabbage for better things."
"Really like the flavor, and the cabbage works veggies into the meal nicely. I've made this as written a number of times and always recv many compliments."
"Excellent recipe. I read the other reviews and did make the following changes: I doubled spices (used garlic powder and only 5/8 t. instead of cloves), used No Salt and no salt added tomato sauce, one diced green pepper, added 1 t. Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 can water, 6 bacon strips instead of 4, brown rice and finely shredded the cabbage). I let it cook for 55 minutes before adding the cheese. Everyone loved it!"
"My husband and I agreed on this one....it taste like Spanish rice with cabbage. Would not make again."
"This recipe is awful. The spices are overpowering. This is very disappointing. I would not recommend this recipe . It does not live up to the taste of actual cabbage rolls. I threw it all out."
"Why is there no print button on this recipe?"
"navy1015 if you buy Minute Rice brand rice, that doesn't have to be cooked. All you do is take it right from the box, measure it, and add it to the recipe. Good luck with your cooking and I also would like to Thank You for your service."
"I made this and we loved it! I used all diced tomatoes. It was delicious! Will definitely makeagain."
"Navy1015 I have made this casserole without cooked rice, and it is still good.Thank you for your service :)"