Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, beat butter and flour until combined; spread into a 12x6-in. rectangle on a piece of waxed paper. Cover with another piece of waxed paper; refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, egg, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Roll dough into a 14-in. square. Remove top sheet of waxed paper from butter; invert onto half of dough. Remove waxed paper. Fold dough over butter; seal edges.
- Roll into a 20x12-in. rectangle. Fold into thirds. Repeat rolling and folding twice. (If butter softens, chill after folding.) Wrap in plastic; refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll into a 25x20-in. rectangle. Cut into 5-in. squares. Cut each square diagonally in half, forming two triangles.
- Roll up triangles from the wide end; place 2 in. apart with point down on ungreased baking sheets. Curve ends down to form crescent shape. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 115 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 133mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Jun 30, 2016
A very traditional recipe for croissants, but at the same time, one of the easier recipes for croissants that I've made. I used the dough to make braided pastry, and it was wonderful!!
Aug 30, 2014
These took time to put together but it was well worth it!
Jan 23, 2014
Great recipe!! We inhaled these!!!
Dec 29, 2011
Very yummy and not terribly hard to make. We rolled up milk chocolate chips in some of them before baking and the results were delicious!
Dec 23, 2010
omnomnom omygosh so nommy
Jan 10, 2010
my sister in law makes these the last two holiday's and we fight for any leftovers to take home!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.