This pie has long been a hit here. It is so popular it would be impossible to take it off the menu.—Buffalo Mountain Lodge, Bannff, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min.
Makes16 servings (2 pies)
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 2 cups each fresh or frozen blueberries, raspberries and sliced strawberries
- 2 cups fresh or frozen chopped rhubarb
- 4 cups chopped peeled baking apples
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Whisk egg, vinegar and water; sprinkle over dry ingredients and toss. If needed, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough can be formed into a ball. Divide into four balls. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out two balls to fit two 9-in. pie pans. Combine filling ingredients (partially thaw fruit if necessary); spoon into crust. Roll remaining pastry to fit pies; place over filling. Seal and flute edges.
- Beat yolk and water; brush over pies. Cut slits in top crust. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown.