Buffalo Macaroni and Cheese Bites
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (7-1/4 ounces) macaroni and cheese dinner mix
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons process cheese sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 can (6 ounces) French-fried onions, crushed
- Blue cheese salad dressing
- Set the cheese packet from dinner mix aside. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add macaroni; cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Drain. Stir in the contents of the cheese packet, milk, cheese sauce and butter.
- Press 2 tablespoonfuls into greased miniature muffin cups. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- Place the hot sauce, flour, egg and onions in separate shallow bowls. Remove macaroni bites from cups. Dip in the hot sauce and flour, then coat with egg and onions. Place 2 in. apart on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400° until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Serve with dressing.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 104 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 141mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Jun 22, 2016
I read the reviews and decided to make adjustments from the start, to counter the possibility of the balls falling apart . I added 1/2 cup bread crumbs to the pasta mix. By accident I bought kraft spiral Mac n cheese which I think helped nThe items bind better. I used my pampered chef mini muffin pan that I love and a rounded tablespoon to place the pasta in the muffin wells. I did not overload the wells. Using 2 tablespoon would not have made enough for 24 bowl.It didnt take more than an hour in the fridge to firm up so idk why it says 3 or more hoursAs long as you firm the ball in your hand and go slow with the dipping and dredging they stayed together and actually looked just like the pic when done.Great vegetarian alternative to buffalo chk. I would make these again as we enjoyed them
Feb 4, 2013
This was really dissapointing! So sad cause my kids love buffalo anything and love mac & cheese! Real bummer at our super bowl party last night.
Jan 27, 2013
What a mess...it takes more than 1 egg and more sauce than listed, and the Mac balls don't hold together
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.