Brussels Sprouts Brown Betty
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, torn
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Minced fresh thyme, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Stir in the cheese, cream and bacon. Bake until casserole is bubbly and starting to brown, 12-15 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, place bread in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in butter. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake until topping is golden brown, 8-10 minutes longer. If desired, top with thyme before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 301 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 554mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Dec 21, 2018
Every year I have searched for a fresh green vegetable recipe to serve on Thanksgiving. I came across this recipe in the Magazine and thought I would give it a try. It was a HUGE success! My cousins who don't like brussel sprouts and my 5 and 7 year old kids loved it! This will now be on my table every year for Thanksgiving (as per my promise to hubby) and a part of my side dish rotation. I wouldn't change a thing about this recipe!!