Brussels Sprouts Brown Betty
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, torn
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Minced fresh thyme, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Stir in the cheese, cream and bacon. Bake until bubbly and starting to brown, 12-15 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, place bread in a food processor or blender. Cover and pulse until crumbs form. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in butter. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake until topping is golden brown, 8-10 minutes longer. If desired, top with thyme before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 301 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 554mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 21, 2018
Every year I have searched for a fresh green vegetable recipe to serve on Thanksgiving. I came across this recipe in the Magazine and thought I would give it a try. It was a HUGE success! My cousins who don't like brussel sprouts and my 5 and 7 year old kids loved it! This will now be on my table every year for Thanksgiving (as per my promise to hubby) and a part of my side dish rotation. I wouldn't change a thing about this recipe!!