- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- Additional shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, optional
- Chopped green onions, optional
- Sour cream, optional
- Salad croutons, optional
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add celery, carrots and onion; saute until crisp-tender. Add broccoli and red pepper; stir in broth and pepper. Combine flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened and vegetables are tender, 25-30 minutes.
Stir in cheeses and beer until cheeses are melted (do not boil). If desired, top with additional shredded cheese, bacon, green onions, sour cream and croutons.
- Freeze option: Before adding toppings, cool soup; transfer to freezer containers. Freeze up to 3 months. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight; heat through in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally (do not boil). Add toppings if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forBroccoli Beer Cheese Soup
"I left out the beer and added more chicken brothe. This turNed out great and would have to be the best broccoli soul I've made. Great flavor!"
"This is a wonderful version of cheese broccoli soup. I added some garlic but did everything else as directed. It's a good idea to cube the cream cheese as small as possible, then let it come to room temp or soften in micro. It takes awhile for it to melt. Absolutely delicious."
"Very tastey. I was skeptical because it sounded under seasoned....not the case! Keep stirring to get the cream cheese incorporated. Will make again!"
"I made this beer cheese soup a few nights ago for the first Green Bay Packer game of the season. It was a huge hit with everyone. They even liked the broccoli in it. Maybe the bacon helped a little. I'll be making this one again and skipping the optional sour cream, it's plenty rich without it."
"We throughly enjoyed this recipe. We used a dark, porter beer; very good! We also don't "measure", everything looks about right, perfect! Also when the cream cheese was added it was stirred until all melted."
"I followed this recipe exactly, which I seldom ever do! It came out perfectly and I will definitely make it again. One comment, even though I am slow when I cook, I think it would take most cooks more than 15 minutes to prepare this, so maybe allow some extra time. I usually use lots of spices to kick up my recipes so I was skeptical since this only called for salt and pepper...but the recipe is perfect and does not need any tweaking! Thanks for sharing. NOTE: I used a food processor to finely chop the veggies except the broccoli florets. When I added the cream cheese I kept stirring and mashing the cream cheese until it was creamy."
"This is absolutely terrible. It was not creamy, there was more celery than broccoli, and the cream cheese melted into curdled chunks.Will never make again, worst recipe i have ever made.Also, adding the beer at the end like this recipe says to do makes it taste like souped down beer. Worst soup i have ever tasted0/5 stars if I could."
"I love this soup!"
"This soup is wonderful! I had to bring soup for 15 to Church, so I made 2 batches (at the same time) and saved out enough for my husband and myself, but brought all the rest (at least serving 20) to Church. There wasn't a drop left! People raved about it. I probably cooked it a little longer than the shown amount of time, so the broccoli was not in whole pieces. I used shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and I had only one bottle of beer in the refrig. so I put half a bottle in each batch. It is a recipe I am going to be keeping because I will definitely be making this again. I loved it."
"This is a fabulous beer cheese soup, everyone that tasted it liked it, even those who were not big fans of broccoli. I recommend everyone to give it a try!"