Beer-Cheese Velvet Soup
This soup was a hit with a group of German exchange teachers who visited our high school. When I don't use bread bowls, I usually serve it with soft pretzels or crusty bread. And it's also an even bigger treat with slices of cooked bratwurst or kielbasa stirred into it. —Paula Zsiray, Logan, Utah
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) light beer
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock, divided
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Bread bowls, crumbled bacon and shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until blended; gradually whisk in beer until smooth. Whisk in stock, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat. Gradually stir in cheese until melted. If desired, serve soup in bread bowls and top with crumbled bacon and shredded cheese.