Rounding out the meal are Breaded Tomato Slices. Garden-fresh tomatoes are sliced, breaded and browned in a skillet for a flavorful change of pace. "They're crunchy and well seasoned," she adds. "The mozzarella cheese perfectly complements the simple, tasty coating."
Recommended: 30 Fresh Tomato Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, onion, Parmesan cheese, salt and Italian seasoning; mix well. Place milk in another bowl. Dip tomato slices in milk, then coat with crumb mixture. In a large skillet, heat oil. Fry tomato slices for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Breaded Tomato Slices in Quick Cooking May/June 2003, p15