Appetizer Tomato Cheese Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch rubbed sage
- 2 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- In a small skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and seasonings; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the baking mix and milk to form a soft dough. Turn dough onto a well-floured surface; knead lightly for 10-12 times. Pat into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, pushing dough up sides of dish to form a shallow rim. Arrange tomato slices over top. Spread with topping; sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 209 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 521mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 20, 2014
This is the first time I prepared this recipe! When I sampled it, I did find it very tasty and quite moist! I used 1/8 tsp. ground sage and 1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning, CRUSHED between my hands. I did not have regular tomatoes, so I used a 14.5-oz can WELL- DRAINED Italian-style STEWED tomatoes, then a 14.5-oz. can of diced tomatoes, drained well. I found that it WAS not easy to knead the dough; I greased and floured my baking pan, and pressed the dough into prepared pan, using enough flour to evenly distribute the dough! The next time, I just may use MORE biscuit mix and gauge the amount of milk to add! It took me a while to spread the dough in the pan! I did allow the dough to sit after mixing it with the milk! I used a medium saucepan to saut? 1 medium onion, finely diced with the butter until tender. I arranged the canned tomatoes evenly over the dough, then spooned the sour cream mixture over the tomatoes. I used 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. paprika, rather than just sprinkle the paprika over the mixture! I baked 25 minutes at 400o F. I allowed the bread to really cool off before I cut it! It did cut nicely! I'd say that I got at least 12 to 15 servings! I put the squares in a plastic container with a cover and chilled the squares in the container. Thank you for sharing this recipe! I thought that this would be nice to take to a holiday party-it certainly has the red color! delowenstein