Even folks who normally don't care for braunschweiger can't seem to resist this creamy spread. Topped with red and green peppers, it's a natural for holiday entertaining. Sometimes I like to form a wreath of fresh parsley around it. —Pat Gulley, Harrisburg, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
Makes1 ball (5 cups)
- 1 pound braunschweiger
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish, optional
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet red pepper and/or green pepper
- Assorted crackers
- In a large bowl, combine the first 6 ingredients; beat until blended. Place on a large sheet of plastic wrap; using plastic wrap, shape mixture into a large ball. Transfer to a serving plate; refrigerate.
- For topping, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. Remove plastic from braunschweiger ball; spread with topping. Sprinkle with chopped pepper. Serve with crackers.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 159 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Braunschweiger Snowball in Country Woman Christmas 2005