Nutty Orange Snowballs
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in orange zest and extracts. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts.
- Shape into 3/4-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place remaining confectioners' sugar in a large resealable plastic bag. Add cookies, a few at a time, and shake to coat. Store in an airtight container.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 3, 2012
Loved them. Gave a few away but ate the rest myself. Am going to make again soon. They're not just for Christmas.
Feb 14, 2012
LOVED this recipe. Such a nice twist to have a butter cookie with orange high-lights. Course this recipe would be simple to exchange for any of the citrus flavors and or nut combinations you desire. Mine turned out great with the walnut/hazlenut combo. And I used the zest of an entire orange - way more than 1 teaspoon as the recipe called for. It was delish! Made them for Valentine's Day packaged in cute little cello bags. They were a hit. I will definitely be making these time and time again!
Dec 30, 2011
Dec 30, 2011
Made these today using orange zest instead of just grated peel. Next time I think i will add a touch of orange food coloring to give it a color other than dough. The powdered sugar did not ahere to it as well as in the photo. Decreased the amount of nuts to 1/3 cups because it seemed to be a lot. Tasted a bit flour-like to me and were more "crumbly" than melt in your mouth type, but the family enjoyed them.
Dec 25, 2011
Just made these yesterday for our Christmas get-together. I couldn`t find orange extract so I used lemon extract and also added more orange zest. For the nuts, I used almonds; they were really finely crushed, powdery, and the package size was just what I needed.They are really, really good! Making them into balls was a bit time consuming but then I baked 28 in just one batch so it wasn`t that bad.Will definitely make these again, and not just for Christmas. :D
Dec 23, 2011
I made the Snowballs today, Mexican Wedding cookies is my favorite of all cookies. I didn't have an orange so I used a lemon and lemon extract. They came out lovely and very tasty. I also used pecans for the nut. I have added this recipe to my recipe folder for future use. I'm sure I will be using this recipe for many years to come.
Dec 24, 2010
These are yummy! They taste even better the day after baking. Very easy to prepare. I like the combo of hazelnuts and walnuts. A keeper!
Dec 31, 2009
These cookies were wonderful. I'll never make regular snowball cookies again. Since my family does not like hazelnuts, I substituted walnuts and they were fabulous.
Nov 29, 2009
Quick and easy with just a hint of orange.
Nov 21, 2009
Very easy to make and have a wonderful hint of citrus. It looks like a new family favorite for the holidays...or anytime.