For a special occasion like a church supper, I make this beautiful dessert. The lemon and coconut flavors go so wonderfully together. Everyone will be asking for the recipe.—Lucy Rickers, Bonsall, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can (12 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Dash salt
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces), cubed
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water. Let stand 5 minutes. Add boiling water; stir until gelatin is dissolved. Add next five ingredients; mix well. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to thicken, about 25 minutes.
- In another bowl, beat 2 cups cream until stiff peaks form; fold into lemon mixture. Line a 12-cup bowl with plastic wrap. Layer with 1 cup each lemon filling and cake cubes. Repeat layers five times; top with remaining filling. Refrigerate, covered, 6 hours or up to 2 days.
- To serve, invert bowl onto a large serving platter. Remove plastic wrap. Beat confectioners' sugar and remaining cream until stiff peaks form; spread over cake. Sprinkle with coconut.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 268 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 199mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Snowball in Country Woman May/June 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.