My mother has been making these wonderful sandwiches since she left her hometown of Boston many years ago. They're quick to prepare and travel well if tightly wrapped in plastic wrap. The recipe is great for parties if you use a loaf of French or Italian bread instead of the individual rolls.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 12 submarine sandwich buns, split
- 1/2 cup Italian salad dressing, divided
- 1/4 pound each thinly sliced bologna, deli ham, hard salami, pepperoni and olive loaf
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup diced dill pickles
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Spread mayonnaise on inside of buns. Brush with half of the salad dressing. Layer deli meats and cheese on bun bottoms. Top with onion, tomato, pickles and lettuce. Sprinkle with oregano and drizzle with remaining dressing. Replace bun tops.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 682 calories, 33g fat (9g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 1863mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 22g protein.
Originally published as Boston Subs in Quick Cooking September/October 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.