Blood Orange Caramel Tarte Tatin
I'd never had blood oranges until I moved to California, but I've loved making this blood orange tart. Whenever I have a gathering to go to, my friends demand that I bring it. —Pamela Butkowski, Hermosa Beach, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium blood orange, thinly sliced
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. In an 8-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, melt butter over medium heat; stir in brown sugar and vanilla until dissolved. Arrange orange slices in a single layer over brown sugar.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry. Roll to a 9-in. square; place over oranges, tucking in corners.
- Bake until tart is golden brown and filling is heated through, 20-25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm, with ice cream if desired.
Mar 16, 2020
It was very easy
Feb 27, 2020
I followed the directions without altering the recipe, but it had a terrible flavor. Everyone took one bite then threw their portion away.