Blood Orange Caramel Tarte Tatin
I'd never had blood oranges until I moved to California, but I've loved making this blood orange tart. Whenever I have a gathering to go to, my friends demand that I bring it. —Pamela Butkowski, Hermosa Beach, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium blood orange, thinly sliced
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a 8-in. cast-iron or ovenproof skillet, melt butter over medium heat; stir in brown sugar and vanilla until dissolved. Arrange orange slices in a single layer over brown sugar.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry. Roll to a 9-in. square; place over oranges.
- Bake until golden brown and filling is heated through, 20-25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm with ice cream.