Cranberry-Orange Crumb Tart
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + standing Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 2 cups crushed cinnamon graham crackers (about 14 whole crackers), divided
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large navel orange
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 2 tablespoons brandy or cranberry juice
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, mix 1-3/4 cups crushed crackers and 1/4 cup sugar; stir in melted butter. Press onto bottom and up sides of an ungreased 11-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Bake 7-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- For topping, in a small bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, and remaining crushed crackers and sugar; cut in cold butter until crumbly. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- Finely grate enough peel from orange to measure 1 tablespoon. Cut a thin slice from the top and bottom of the orange; stand orange upright on a cutting board. Cut off peel and outer membrane, starting from the top. Holding orange over a bowl to catch juices, remove orange sections by cutting along the membrane. Squeeze membrane to reserve additional juice.
- In a large saucepan, mix sugar, tapioca, baking soda, cinnamon and allspice. Add cranberries, brandy, grated peel and reserved juice; toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°.
- Bring cranberry mixture to a full boil, stirring constantly. Add orange sections; heat through. Pour into crust; sprinkle with topping. Bake 10-15 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 332 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 27, 2013
One of the best recipes I have ever made, easy and delicious
Nov 25, 2013
In step one be sure to preheat oven to 375º, then prebake the crust 7-8 minutes as instructed.
Nov 23, 2013
This was very tasty and made a nice presentation however the directions left off the oven temperature for the pre-bake of the crust. Also the oranges should be cut into small pieces and not left as whole sections. I will make this again with this modification.