Billie’s Southern Sweet Potato Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 4 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded peeled sweet potatoes (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, spices and salt; gradually beat into egg mixture. Stir in sweet potatoes and walnuts.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Spread over cooled cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 519 calories, 36g fat (8g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 276mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 23, 2018
WOW...I officially have a new favorite cake. This is amazing. I had some sweet potatoes to use up and thought about roasting them, but decided to do a search on the internet first and am I sure glad I did. I am a baker, but not much of a sweet eater, but will definitely be devouring this cake. It is so moist and delicious. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. Does Billie have a blog or other recipes? I would love to see what other fabulous recipes she has.
Nov 19, 2017
Moist and delicious! Reminds me of Carrot Cake. Freezes well (frosting and all) and defrosts in less than an hour!
Apr 24, 2017
Moist and tasty
Apr 23, 2014
I only added cup and a half of sugar for the cake and it was perfect. My husband really liked it.
Mar 23, 2014
A delicious moist cake with just the right amount of spice. Tastes even better the next day!
Feb 27, 2014
Made this cake for a family friend. He went crazy over it !!!!!!
Jan 25, 2014
We both really enjoyed this cake. Thanks for the recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.