Southern Lane Cake
I just love this southern-style dessert, and so do dinner guests. With pecans, cherries and raisins in the filling and topping, this version reminds me of a fruitcake—only so much better! —Mabel Parvi, Ridgefield, Washington
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min. + chilling
- 6 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped red candied cherries
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped and sweetened
- Line bottoms of three greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper; set aside. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- In another large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Transfer to prepared pans.
- Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For filling, combine egg yolks and sugar in a large saucepan. Add butter; cook and stir over medium-low heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture thickens (do not boil). Remove from the heat. Stir in bourbon, orange zest and salt. Fold in the raisins, coconut, pecans and cherries. Cool.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice. Frost sides of cake with whipped cream. Refrigerate until serving.
To Make Ahead: Cake can be made a day in advance. Cover and refrigerate. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.
Originally published as Southern Lane Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.