Patchwork Quilt Cake
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Assorted fresh berries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs, one at at time, beating well. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; beat into creamed mixture alternately with milk. Transfer to prepared dish.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. Place on a wire rack; cool completely.
- For frosting, beat butter until creamy; gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth and light in color, about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla and 3 tablespoons cream until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes; thin with additional cream if desired. Spread over cake. Before serving, top with berries in a patchwork quilt pattern.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 477 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 342mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 14, 2019
This cake had a rich vanilla flavor. The frosting also had a rich vanilla flavor and was not too sweet. I used blueberries and strawberries and it looked just like the picture. It was a hit at my picnic!
Jul 12, 2019
This is not only beautiful but super tasty and love the frosting ideas - key here is to beat a long time. Super good
Jul 2, 2019
This cake was easy to make and super delicious. I decorated it in a patchwork design but used milk chocolate chips and dark chocolate chips so there would be contrast. It looked great and tasted even better!
Jun 28, 2019
This is a simple cake to make. The cake is has a simple flavor that works with the berries well. The frosting is one of my favorites that I use on all sorts of cakes. I love the idea of the patchwork quilt. It takes some time and patience but the end result is amazing.
Jun 17, 2019
What an easy cake to make- very light texture and the frosting is the bomb. I loved the light feel of the frosting (in my mind similar to whipped topping). Did not have the berries so sprinkled on some "jimmies" and it looks great and tastes great too. Definitely will make again.