Patchwork Quilt Cake
This cake has a great homemade flavor and tender crumb. Be sure to pile on the buttery frosting, which adds a burst of vanilla. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Assorted fresh berries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs, one at at time, beating well. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; beat into creamed mixture alternately with milk. Transfer to prepared dish.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. Place on a wire rack; cool completely.
- For frosting, beat butter until creamy; gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth and light in color, about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla and 3 tablespoons cream until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes; thin with additional cream if desired. Spread over cake. Before serving, top with berries in a patchwork quilt pattern.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 477 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 342mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Yellow Cake with Buttercream Frosting in Country Woman June/July 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.