Down South Sweet Tea Cake
I think this recipe combines two of the best and most famous ingredients from the South: sweet tea and pecans! Using a cake mix simplifies prep and helps ease the holiday time crunch. —Melissa Millwood, Lyman, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup strong brewed tea, cooled, divided
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, 3/4 cup tea, eggs, oil, vanilla and lemon extract; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Stir in pecans. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. In a small bowl, mix confectioners’ sugar, butter and enough remaining tea to reach desired consistency. Pour glaze over top of cake, allowing some to flow over sides.
Originally published as DOWN SOUTH SWEET TEA CAKE in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.