Southern Sweet Potato Tart
We love sweet potatoes, so I try to incorporate them in as many dishes as I can. My secret ingredient in this sweet potato tart is the bourbon—it's what makes it so delicious. —Marie Bruno, Greensboro, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (about 2 small)
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon bourbon or 1 tablespoon whipping cream plus 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake until tender, 40-50 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. tart pan with removable bottom. Press onto bottom and sides of pan; trim edges to edge of pan. Refrigerate while preparing filling.
- Remove potatoes from oven; increase oven setting to 425°. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, remove peel and place pulp in a large bowl; beat until smooth (you will need 1 cup mashed). Add butter, brown sugar, flour, pie spice and salt; beat until blended. Beat in egg, cream and bourbon. Pour into crust. Bake on a lower oven rack 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for topping, mix butter, brown sugar and corn syrup until blended. Stir in pecans.
- Remove pie; reduce oven setting to 350°. Spoon topping evenly over pie. Bake until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean, 8-10 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack. Serve within 2 hours or refrigerate, covered, and serve cold.
Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches): Combine 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 tsp. salt; cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-5 Tbsp. ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Wrap and refrigerate 1 hour. Optional*PECAN TOPPING 1/2 cup pecan pieces 2 tablespoons butter 2 tablespoons Dark Karo Syrup 2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar Mix all ingredients together in small bowl. Sprinkle over top of tart during last 15 minutes of baking.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 477 calories, 29g fat (15g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 326mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.