Beef and Mushrooms with Smashed Potatoes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes (about 6 medium), cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup french-fried onions
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, until tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with mushrooms and onion over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes; drain. Stir in flour, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt until blended. Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain potatoes; return to pan. Mash potatoes to desired consistency, adding butter, cream and the remaining salt and pepper. Spoon into bowls; top with beef mixture. Sprinkle with fried onions.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 517 calories, 26g fat (12g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 896mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein.
Jan 14, 2018
Incredibly bland and uninteresting. I tried doctoring it with carrots and green beans, herbs and garlic powder and still it couldn't save this dish. Pass.
Jan 11, 2018
My daughter and I liked it a lot! But it seemed to be a little bland? Had to add a lot more spices, is it just me?
Jan 10, 2018
Could you use another choice of meat for this recipe, beef tips, etc???
Nov 20, 2017
This is perfect comfort food. I did cook the mushrooms separately like it says in the tips and I really recommend that.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.