- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut each zucchini lengthwise in half. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell; chop pulp.
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and red pepper over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, bulgur, pepper and zucchini pulp. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 12-15 minutes or until bulgur is tender. Stir in salsa. Spoon into zucchini shells.
- Place in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, covered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until zucchini is tender and filling is heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forBeef & Bulgur-Stuffed Zucchini Boats
"This recipe was delicious and a great way to use my abundant zucchini crop! I made the entire recipe for the two of us, and put part of it in the freezer to enjoy later."
"I made this delicious recipe recently. Hubby and I both loved this dish and cleaned our plates. I made no changes to the recipe. We had some left over and it was delicious the next day. I highly recommend this recipe. Definitely worth the 5 stars I gave it.Volunteer Field Editor"