When I got married, I asked my Aunt Jean for this recipe. It was her creation and she always hamburgers in this way for family picnics in the summer and the occasional church dish dinner. I like them because they have a great taste and are very moist.
Recommended: Veggie Burger Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 12 hamburger buns, split
- In a large bowl, combine the saltines, milk, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 12 patties. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown patties in batches on both sides. Place in a large roasting pan.
- Combine the ketchup, onion, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and vinegar; pour over patties. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve on buns. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Hamburgers in Reminisce June/July 2007, p48
Reviews forBarbecued Hamburgers
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 20, 2013
"My family loved this. I will definetly make this again."