Balsamic Roasted Chicken Thighs with Root Vegetables
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Bake: 35 min.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2-1/4 pounds)
- 4 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, divided
- In a bowl, whisk 3 tablespoons oil, mustard, vinaigrette and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper until blended. Add chicken, turning to coat. Refrigerate, covered, 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place chicken, skin side up, on half of a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Place parsnips and sweet potato in a large bowl; add shallots, caraway seeds and the remaining oil, salt and pepper and toss to combine. Arrange in a single layer on remaining half of pan.
- Roast chicken and vegetables 20 minutes. Stir vegetables; roast chicken and vegetables 15-20 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 170°-175° and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer vegetables to a bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons parsley and half of the bacon. Serve chicken with vegetables; sprinkle chicken with the remaining parsley and bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 480 calories, 27g fat (6g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 604mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 27g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 1, 2019
This was yummy. I used bonesless skinless thighs and tenderloins and it still came out delish. I also added zucchini to the roasted veggies and used probably 2-3 T more oil than was called for in the recipe but I think I was doing more veggies than what is indicated in the recipe. I would definitely make this again. My pickiest eater was begging for seconds the next day.
Nov 17, 2018
After I was done laughing at the idea of left over bacon, who ever has that? I mean 3 slices, I'm going to eat them before I do the morning dishes. Anyway, I made bacon especially for this recipe and it is wonderful, I did leave out the caraway seeds, I can't abide them. I loved it, balsamic is a very favorite of mine.
Nov 4, 2018
I added a bunch of carrots to it. Wow this is good
Oct 31, 2018
Grandmaj2u, I’m sure you meant well but you’re comments aren’t helpful. You gave a 5 star rating to a recipe you didn’t follow. Please, don’t distract us with all your changes and opinions. Rate the recipe based on its original ingredients. Thanks in advance.
Oct 31, 2018
This is so good and so easy to prepare, and amazingly delicious - our family not a favorite of parsnips so i substituted some mini potatoes and it worked out so well - i did use balsamic salad dressing and OMG it was so good we all licked the platter clean - this is a keeper
Oct 16, 2018
A few tips that can help : IF your NOT a fan of BALSAMIC Dressing, not to worry. Use Newman's Own Balsamic Dressing. ( but NOT the organic one) It tastes EXACTLY like Italian Dressing. You will NOT taste ANY balsamic. AT ALL. IF you do like more balsamic taste, Then just add in about 1T. OR 2 of straight balsamic vinegar to the Newmans Own dressing . IF your family prefers a sweeter taste, Add in 1T. or up to 2T balsamic GLAZE ( usually in small bottles ,top shelf of salad dressing Isle.) It is SWEET rather than tangy, and kids love that sweet taste. It is thick, and drizzles over food well. I use the balsamic glaze to garnish caprese salads.. For a chrispy skin, pat it dry with a paper towel. The brush on a little oil or dressing after the first 10 min of cooking. The veggies do even better with a pinch of thyme sprinkled lightly over them after being tossed in a little oil or dressing. Taste of Home ( or uour gamily)may do well to ADD another recipe to their files by changing the name of this to ITALIAN CHEAT SHEET DINNER.. Then change the dressing to a red wine vinegrette, and add in a pinch or 2 or Italian herbs and garlic powder.