Balsamic Roasted Chicken Thighs with Root Vegetables Recipe
I will always remember the way my grandmother's house smelled when she made this chicken every Sunday. Ever since she gave me the recipe, the heartwarming flavors always take me back to my childhood. — Erin Chilcoat, Central Islip, New York
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 2-1/4 pounds)
- 4 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 4 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 3 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, divided
- In a bowl, whisk 3 tablespoons oil, mustard, vinaigrette and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper until blended. Add chicken, turning to coat. Refrigerate, covered, 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place chicken, skin side up, on one-half of a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Place parsnips and sweet potato in a large bowl; add shallots, caraway seeds and the remaining oil, salt and pepper and toss to combine. Arrange in a single layer on remaining half of pan.
- Roast chicken and vegetables 20 minutes. Stir vegetables; roast chicken and vegetables 15-20 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 170°-175° and vegetables are tender.
- Transfer vegetables to a bowl; toss with 2 tablespoons parsley and half of the bacon. Serve chicken with vegetables; sprinkle chicken with the remaining parsley and bacon. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Balsamic Roasted Chicken Thighs with Root Vegetables in Country Woman October/November 2015