- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (16 ounces) rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Additional Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add the tomatoes, sauce, paste, water, mushrooms, parsley, garlic and seasonings. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and toss with butter. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, ricotta and Parmesan cheese. Stir into rigatoni mixture. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish; top with tomato mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forBaked Rigatoni
"Added Italian sausage. Very good!"
"Would this fit in a 13-in x 9-in dish. I did not see size of dish specified. Apologies if I missed it"
"We really liked this! We used a 13.25 ounce box of whole wheat penne instead of rigatoni. Highly recommend!~ Theresa"
"I made this for the first time with tomatoes with green chilis as that was all I had. I also added a layer of ground meat before I added the sauce. Everyone absolutely loved it. Later on I made again with recipe as is and it did taste like it was missing something, very bland. Try it the way I made it the first time and you too will be a fan."
"This was okay. The sauce smells fantastic simmering on the stove, but the final product seemed to lack something. All in all a comforting meal on a cold winter day."
"to replace the ricotta cheese i use cottage cheese and mozzarella cheese. i mix them together to to taste and it really good and not stronge.dee knightst.albans, wv"
"cottage cheese...but whats not to like!!!"
"What can we replace for the ricotta cheese if you don't like it?"
"Add some italian sausage and hamburger meat for a little extra flavor"
"Family really did not like this one..not much flavor. I will not be making this again."