Baked Beans Mole
My son and husband love this hearty side dish that is quick and easy to prepare but yet so flavorful. Chocolate, chili and honey mingle to create a rich, savory flavor that's not too spicy and not too sweet. —Roxanne Chan, Albany, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 minutes
- 1/4 pound fresh chorizo, crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup salsa (medium or hot)
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 ounces chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
- Minced fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large, ovenproof skillet with a lid, cook chorizo, onion, red pepper and garlic over medium heat until sausage is browned, 4-6 minutes. Add next nine ingredients; mix well. Bake, covered, until thickened and flavors are blended, about 40 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 284 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 989mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 6g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Baked Beans Mole in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.