Black Bean Cakes with Mole Salsa
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (1-1/4 cups salsa)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons grated chocolate
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- In a small bowl, mash beans. Add the egg, zucchini, bread crumbs, cheese, chili powder, salt, baking powder and cumin; mix well.
- Shape into six patties; brush both sides with oil. Place on a baking sheet.
- Broil 3-4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the salsa ingredients. Serve with black bean cakes.
Nutrition Facts1 cake with 3 tablespoons salsa: 206 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 397mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Aug 26, 2013
These were excellent and the Mole Salsa makes the dish..it was delicious. Easy to make too. Perfect for Meatless Monday!
Apr 23, 2013
Good for you. The texture is a bit soft
Sep 1, 2011
These turned out better than I expected. They were delicious! My hubby even liked them and he normally prefers meat. Very impressed!
Oct 4, 2010
These cakes are easy to make and they go great with the mole salsa!
Mar 22, 2010
I substituted 1 cup of cooked butternut squash for the zucchini and they turned out great. The salsa was very yummy and really made the recipe great
Dec 29, 2009
this recipe is excellent. I replaced the zucchini with 1 c corn, and made black bean burgers out of it. the burgers held together great, and had a texture similar to an actual burger. I didn't make the salsa, just put normal burger toppings on them.