Baked Apple Surprise
This sweet-savory recipe is a favorite. Use Brie instead of blue cheese if you like things creamier. My tip? Bake the apples in a muffin tin so they won’t roll around. —Jessica Levinson, Nyack, New York
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 2 medium apples
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons bran flakes
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Cut apples in half lengthwise; remove cores. Place in an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Fill each half with 1 teaspoon blue cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the oats, bran flakes, golden raisins, raisins and brown sugar; spoon into apples. Top with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° until tender, 35-40 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2 filled apple halves: 181 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 141mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Baked Apple Suprise in Healthy Cooking August/September 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.