- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped fennel bulb
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeno pepper
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 plum tomatoes, choppped
- 30 endive leaves
- Chopped fennel fronds
- In a small bowl, combine red peppers, fennel, olives, oil and cilantro; stir in 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, mash avocados with a fork. Stir in lime juice, jalapeno, green onion, garlic, cumin, pepper sauce and the remaining salt and pepper. Stir in tomatoes.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon avocado mixture onto each endive leaf; top each with about 1 tablespoon pepper mixture. Sprinkle with fennel fronds.
1 appetizer: 43 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 109mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.