Avocado Endive Cups with Salsa
I jazz up guacamole by serving it atop endive leaves. Add a brilliant red pepper salsa, and you’ve got a standout appetizer. —Gilda Lester, Millsboro, Delaware
Total TimePrep: 45 min.
- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped fennel bulb
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeno pepper
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 plum tomatoes, choppped
- 30 endive leaves
- Chopped fennel fronds
- In a small bowl, combine red peppers, fennel, olives, oil and cilantro; stir in 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, mash avocados with a fork. Stir in lime juice, jalapeno, green onion, garlic, cumin, pepper sauce and the remaining salt and pepper. Stir in tomatoes.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon avocado mixture onto each endive leaf; top each with about 1 tablespoon pepper mixture. Sprinkle with fennel fronds.