- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) spice cake mix
- 1-1/4 cups cinnamon applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 7 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 3 cups cold milk
- 1 package (5.1 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 envelope whipped topping mix
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- In a mixing bowl, combine dry cake mix, applesauce, eggs and oil; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a saucepan, cook pie filling, butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon until butter is melted; stir until well blended. Cool. In a mixing bowl, combine milk, pudding mix, topping mix and remaining cinnamon. Beat in high until thickened, about 5 minutes. Spread a third of the topping in a 6-qt. bowl. Cut cake into cubes; place half over topping. Top with half of the fruit mixture, walnuts and pudding mixture. Repeat layers, ending with remaining topping mixture. Sprinkle with toffee bits. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours. Yield: 20-24 servings.
Reviews forApple Spice Cake Trifle
"I, too, questioned the cinnamon but after adding just a tsp at a time, I ended up adding it all. It's a large box of pudding, along with all the other flavors, so it holds up well. It's good."
"I have not tried this recipe yet but question the amount of cinnamon - 7 teaspoons? Has anyone tried it. It sounds great except for the spice amount."