Apple Tube Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + cooling
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups diced peeled apples
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- BUTTER CREAM SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and oil. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually add to batter (batter will be very stiff). Fold in apples and pecans.
- Pour into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- For sauce, melt butter in a small saucepan. Add the sugar, cream and vanilla. cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved and sauce is heated through. Slice cake; serve with warm sauce. Refrigerate leftover sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 560 calories, 35g fat (9g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Feb 17, 2015
I love this cake, it never fails to please! I haven't made the sauce because I find the cake stands up on its own, it's THAT good!
Jan 16, 2015
This cake is fantastic, and the sauce puts it over the top. Took it to a church potluck and it got rave reviews. It's a keeper.
Nov 9, 2014
this was my first cake from scratch. it was great and a big hit. Very rich and very moist. I thought the batter was extremely thick and thought I was doing it wrong but stuck it through to the end and loved it.
Apr 10, 2014
There is never enough of this for my family - every time it is gone they ask me to make it again!
Jan 29, 2014
This has been an all-time favorite cake in our family for nearly 30 yrs. The only things I change are: reduce oil to 1 cup; & add 1/2 tsp. nutmeg & 1/4 tsp. cloves to the flour mixture. We frequently enjoy this for breakfast on Sundays.
Nov 15, 2010
very good cake i find its even better if you make a day or 2 ahead the flavor is even better as it sits if you can keep it around that long! :)
Jul 10, 2010
This cake was awesome!!! My brother ate 3 pieces. My family rated this cake very high. Yes indeed it was EXTREMELY stiff. It did have a lot of oil but next time I will try using 1/2 of the oil and 1/2 applesauce. The recipe didn't indicate what kind of apples, so I used Granny Smith. I recommend this cake to all!!
Mar 22, 2010
This is a good recipe, and I absolutely love the sauce! I made it for a class of 30 adults, and I got many compliments and two recipe requests. The sauce is probably the best part! Three tips: The sauce as it was cooling kept wanting to separate, but as long as I stirred it every now and then as it was cooling the sauce came out perfect. Secondly, for those that might think that 1 and 1/2 cups oil is alot, try substituting half of that with applesauce. It will make a less oily, more moist and flavorful cake. And lastly, the recipe says that the batter will be stiff and that was totally an understatement! But resist the temptation to add some liquid and follow the recipe. The cake will turn out fine. Will definitely make this again!
Jan 30, 2009
Made this cake for a dinner party. Liked the sauce but not the cake. Far too much oil. Left a cooking of oil in your mouth and if you held a piece of cake in you hands your hand became very greasy. Would never make again. Kirsten