- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups cold butter, cubed
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups ice water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled Granny Smith apples (about 6 medium)
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled Gala or Jonathan apples (about 6 medium)
- 1 cup Red Hots candies
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in two portions so that one portion is slightly larger than the other. Shape each into a rectangle; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. For filling, in a large bowl, mix sugar, flour and salt. Add apples and Red Hots; toss to coat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of dough into an 18x13-in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of pan. Add filling; dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining dough; place over filling. Fold bottom pastry over edge of top pastry; seal and flute or press with a fork to seal. Prick top with a fork.
- Bake 50-55 minutes or until golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm. If desired, top with ice cream. Yield: 24 servings.
Reviews forApple Red-Hot Slab Pie
"I love red hots in applesauce so I am so glad to get a recipe for slab pie - it was a hug hit at our house - go red hots"