Apple Quince Pie
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 3 cups thinly sliced peeled quinces (about 2 medium)
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) unsweetened apple juice
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 5 medium)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- In a large saucepan, combine the quinces and apple juice. Place cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Add to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until quinces are crisp-tender.
- Uncover; simmer 8-12 minutes longer or until liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons. Discard spice bag. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Gently stir in quince mixture. Spoon into crust.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
- Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 287 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 2, 2010
This pie ROCKS!!! I whipped out 2 and got raves from my big family! I used to toss out my quinces, not anymore! Came in handy for our unexpected Balloon Fiesta guests! They loved it!
Dec 24, 2009
I'm not a great cook but this turned out great. I only needed 3 granny smith apples instead of the 5
Nov 23, 2009
Wonderful recipe - I have made it 3 times. I tripled the topping and skipped the piecrust making it a crisp.
Jul 17, 2009
I loves Quinces!I wished I could get some here in the US.