All-American Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
Makes2 loaves (8 servings each)
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 6 slices bread, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-1/4 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- Saute green pepper and onion in oil in a large skillet until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large bowl; cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Add eggs, milk, bread, cheese, rosemary, salt and pepper to sauteed vegetables. Crumble beef and pork over mixture and mix well.
- Pat into 2 greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Combine ketchup, brown sugar and vinegar in a small bowl. Spread over tops.
- Bake, uncovered, 50-55 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
Freeze option: Shape meat loaves in plastic wrap-lined loaf pans; top with ketchup mixture. Cover and freeze until firm. Remove from pan and wrap securely in foil; return to freezer. Freeze up to 3 months. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap meat loaf and place in pan. Bake, uncovered, 1-1/4-1-1/2 hours, or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 286 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 765mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Oct 17, 2018
This made a very tasty, firm meatloaf. We ate one and put the other in the freezer. Can't wait to have it again!
Jul 12, 2018
I'm not a big fan of meatloaf, but this recipe may change my mind!
Apr 12, 2018
This is a great meatloaf! The addition of fresh bread cubes instead of bread crumbs makes the meatloaf very moist and the sauteed onions, peppers, garlic and shredded cheddar add lots of flavor. I'm not a fan of rosemary, so used dried parsley instead and used about 2 1/2 lbs of ground beef without the sausage but kept everything else the same. Everyone loved this. I think this is one of the best meatloaf recipes I've made......and I've made many! A keeper!
Jul 19, 2015
I use this recipe often. I like the use of bread instead of bread crumbs. The ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar mixture for the top is very tasty. I use an Italian seasoning instead of the rosemary. It takes a while longer for mine to reach desired temperature. A good hearty meatloaf.
Feb 11, 2015
I've been making meatloaf for years, but it was never as delicious as this recipe's is.
Nov 12, 2014
Turned out fantastic, thank you! Froze half the mixture and got two meals and lunches out of all of it!
Aug 22, 2014
This was delicious. Usually my husband will not eat leftovers but he has eaten this twice since I made it.
Aug 16, 2014
This is a good meatloaf recipe. I make and freeze these for my husband (I am vegan). The only thing I do different is sub red pepper for the green (preference), use a bit less milk and I make small individual meat loaves. I buy those small disposable aluminum pans, shape and place the meat in them, then wrap well with plastic wrap, then freezer paper and seal tightly. I mark the item, date and also the directions for baking. (They do take a little less time to bake because of small size). It is so simple to pull one from freezer, thaw and bake. With a couple of side dishes he has one of his favorite meals, all fall and winter long.
May 20, 2013
I thought this recipe was way to wet for my tastes. I like a more firm meat loaf. The taste was just ok as well. There are better meat loaf recipes out there. I wouldn't make this one again.
Apr 27, 2013
I loved it, and it was easy to make.