How to Make an Easy Vegan Stir-Fry
This vegan stir-fry is quick and easy to make at home! Just toss fresh vegetables with a homemade sauce for a flavorful weeknight meal.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
Stir-frying is a cooking technique where the ingredients are fried in a small amount of hot oil while being stirred in a wok. You can make an easy stir-fry with just about anything. Once you understand the basic formula, you can make endless variations—like this tasty vegan stir-fry!
What Vegetables Are Best for Stir-Frying?
Just about any vegetables will work in this meat-free, dairy-free vegan recipe. Popular add-ins include broccoli florets, sugar snap peas, carrots, onions, peppers, mushrooms and baby corn. You can even use a bag of frozen stir-fry vegetables.
How to Make Vegan Stir-Fry
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups fresh sugar snap peas
- 1-1/2 cups julienned carrots
- 1 cup julienned onions
- 2 cups julienned sweet red pepper
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup canned whole baby corn
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Hot cooked rice, optional
Editor’s Tip: Cut all the veggies in a similar size to ensure even cooking.
- Porcelain bowls: Wide, shallow bowls are great for stir-fry dishes. You can spread everything out and allow all the flavors to come together.
- Non-stick frying pan: If you don’t have a wok, a large, deep pan like this will work just as well.
- Mixing bowl: A sturdy and durable mixing bowl is a must in any kitchen! We love this handcrafted mixing bowl.
Step 1: Make the stir-fry sauce
In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients until smooth; set aside.
Step 2: Cook the vegetables
In a large skillet or wok, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. To stir-fry like a restaurant chef, add the vegetables in batches.
If you’re looking for an easy vegan recipe, you’re in the right place. First, add the broccoli, peas, carrots and onion. Stir-fry for five minutes. Then add the mushrooms, sweet red pepper, corn and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil; cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about four to five minutes longer.
Step 3: Add the sauce
Stir cornstarch mixture and add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until sauce is thickened, one to two minutes.
Step 4: Serve and enjoy
Top with green onions and sesame seeds. If desired, serve with perfectly cooked rice.
What to Serve with Vegan Stir-Fry
Tips for Making Vegan Stir-Fry
Add tofu or another plant-based protein
Make this vegan stir-fry recipe gluten-free
Looking for a gluten-free stir-fry recipe? Replace the soy sauce with tamari, liquid aminos or coconut aminos. As with any gluten-free recipe, check the labels to be sure you’re buying GF products.