Getting my meat-loving husband and two sons, ages 5 and 7, to eat more veggies has always been a struggle until I whipped up this stir-fry one night. I was shocked when they cleaned their plates and asked for seconds. —Abbey Hoffman, Ashland, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 pound fresh baby carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small sweet red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/2 cup honey-roasted cashews
- In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, water, brown sugar and lemon juice until smooth; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Stir-fry garlic for 1 minute. Add vegetables; cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, 6-8 minutes.
- Stir soy sauce mixture and add to pan. Bring to a boil. Add rice and water chestnuts; heat through. Top with cashews.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 385 calories, 16g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 671mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 6g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Crunchy Sweet and Sour Veggie Stir Fry in Taste of Home February/March 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.