- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 cups cooked wild rice, divided
- 6 cups chopped cooked broccoli (about 1 large bunch)
- 5 cups chopped cooked cauliflower (about 1 small head)
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a saucepan, saute the onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup cheese until smooth.
- Place 2 cups wild rice in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with broccoli and cauliflower. Place remaining wild rice lengthwise down the center of dish. Pour the sauce over all. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with bacon. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until bubbly. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Wild Rice Floret Bake in Country Woman July/August 1999, p29
Reviews for Wild Rice Floret Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 30, 2010
"I used 2% milk, non fat sour cream, 2% milk cheddar cheese and non fat bacon bits. It was very good."